Finding Books and ebooks
- The online catalog provides a listing of all books, ebooks and media owned by the library. You can search the catalog from computers in the library, campus computer labs, or remote locations via the Books/Media tab on the SUNY Broome Library website www.sunybroome.edu/library.
- You can expand your search to "Other Libraries" Get It button to submit an Interlibrary loan request, if an item you would like is not available at SUNY Broome.
- How to Find a Book tutorial.
- Most books about health information technology are located in the “R” section of the reference and circulating collections.
Reference books are located on the first floor and are helpful for locating short answers to specific questions.
- Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment [Ref RC71 .C87 2018]
- Fischbach's Manual of Laboratory & Diagnostic Tests [Ref RB38.2 .M36 2018]
- Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions [Ref R121 .M89 2017]
- Mosby's Diagnostic and Laboratory Test Reference [Ref RB38.2 .P337 2015]
- Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book [Ref RS51 .D735 2012]
- Stedman's Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols [Ref R123 .S69 2013]
- Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary [Ref R121 .T33 2017]
The library subscribes to a number of online databases, which can be used to search for magazine and journal articles on your topic, including full text for some of the articles. To access these databases, click on “Complete list of databases” under the “Search” heading on the SUNY Broome library homepage <www.sunybroome.edu/library>, then click on “Health and Medicine.”
***Note: From off-campus, you will need to enter your MyCollege login.
- CINAHL Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature
- ProQuest Healthcare Administration Database
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality - AHRQ
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) excellent source for diseases & conditions, data & statistics
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Health Resources & Services Adminstration HRSA
- HHS.gov U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services
- Lab Tests Online produced by the American Association of Clinical Chemistry
- Medline Plus health topics, drugs & supplements, videos & cool tools, Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary
- Medscape Reference (emedicine) drugs, diseases & procedures
- Merck Manual Home Health Handbook
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
- National Center for Complementary & Integrative Health (NCCIH)
- Nursing Home Compare
- WHO World Health Organization
- Look to see if the author's name and credentials are available
- Look to see if the author has a list of references
- Look to see when the site or page was last updated
- Look to see if there is a bias
- Look for an HON (Health on the Net) symbol at the bottom of the page
- Look for sites that have edu or gov in the URL
- Occupational Outlook Handbook information from the U.S. Dept. of Labor
- Careers in Health Information Technology ebook by Brian Malec, published by Springer, 2015.
- APA Style American Psychological Association
- APA Style 6th ed. SUNY Broome guide with template to format your paper
- APA Style 7th ed. Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Writing Center SUNY Broome
K. Pitcher 3/1/2016; rev. 8/3/2020