The online catalog provides a listing of all books and media owned by the library. You can search the catalog from computers in the library, campus computer labs, or remote locations via the Books/Media tab on the SUNY Broome Library website www.sunybroome.edu/library. Most books about medical assisting are located in the “R” section of the reference and circulating collections.
Reference books are located on the first floor and are helpful for locating short answers to specific questions.
- Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment [Ref RC71 .C87 2018]
- Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions [Ref R121 .M89 2017]
- Mosby's Diagnostic and Laboratory Test Reference [Ref RB38.2 .P337 2015]
- Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book [Ref RS51 .D735 2012]
- Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary [Ref R121 .T33 2017]
You can access electronic books through the SUNY Broome Library web page.
- eBook Search Searches our ProQuest Ebook Central and EBSCO ebook collections
- Gale Virtual Reference Library Specializied encyclopedias
- STAT!Ref Nursing ebooks, including Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses
Journal articles will give you the most current information on medical assisting and related fields. SUNY Broome subscribes to the following journal:
CMA Today published by the AAMA
The library subscribes to a number of online databases, which can be used to search for magazine and journal articles on your topic, including full text for some of the articles. To access these databases, click on “Complete list of databases” under the “Search” heading on the SUNY Broome library homepage <www.sunybroome.edu/library>, then click on “Health and Medicine.”
***Note: From off-campus, you will need to enter your MyCollege login.
- CINAHL Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature
- Science Direct
PubMed is a freely accessible index to dental and medical journals from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health. There are excellent tutorials and a QuickStart Guide available on the PubMed website https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed.
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) excellent source for diseases & conditions, data & statistics
Lab Tests Online produced by the American Association of Clinical Chemistry
Medline Plus health topics, drugs & supplements, videos & cool tools, Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary
Medscape Reference drugs, diseases & procedures (must set up free login)
Occupational Outlook Handbook Medical Assistant career information
- In person at the Reference Desk during Library Hours
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chat AskUs 24/7
- Phone: 607-778-5043
K. Pitcher 3/19/13; rev. 5/21/20