This following resources are available through the SUNY Broome Library.
Library Home Page
The Library home page is a great place to start! It has links to:
- search for articles and books (select the "articles" tab or the "books/media" tab for the type of resource you are looking for)
- MLA Style Guide
- library guides, subject and course, to assist you with your research
- interlibrary loan (if the Library does not have the book or article you need we can try and obtain it for you)
- tutorials (how to ... search for books, articles, evaluate information, cite sources ...)
reference assistance including ASK US 24/7 chat reference
Important! Evaluate Your Sources
It is important to critically evaluate your sources to determine their appropriateness for the topic you are researching. The tutorial Evaluating Information can help with this.
Also Important! Cite Your Sources
When writing a paper it is important to cite where you find your information, quotations, and ideas. For examples of how to format your citations see the following guide: MLA Style Guide. Citation tools are also available in a lot of the databases now. Look for these to help you out.
In the Library’s reference and circulating collections you can find:
- MLA Handbook, 8th edition LB2369 .G53 2016
How to Locate Articles
There are different types of article databases, e.g., multi-disciplinary, subject specific, viewpoint. To search for articles select a database that covers the scope of your topic.
Some databases to start with:
- Discovery Search Searches many of the Library's databases at once.
- Tip: On your search results, select your "Content Types," e.g., Academic Journals, Magazines (on left). You can also limit to "Available in Library Collection," and date range (on left).
- Academic Search Complete A multi-disciplinary database, e.g., humanities, social sciences, sciences.
- Tip: On your search results, select your "Source Types," e.g., Academic Journals, Magazines (on left). You can also limit by date range (on left).
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Includes topic overviews and viewpoint articles.
- CQ Researcher Articles include: topic overview, historical background, chronology, pros/cons. Also includes "Hot Topics" articles.
- Statista Lots of statistics!
More databases available through the SUNY Broome Library.
Searching for Books
In the online catalog you may need to expand your search results to "Quick delivery libraries" and/or "Worldwide libraries." Click on "GET IT" to submit a request through Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad).